Does anyone still play their Gamecube (not Wii) console anymore?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by dark, Apr 13, 2012.

1. dark

dark Enthusiastic Member

This question is inspired by the fact that I've seen some gamecubes sell for under $10 on ebay recently.

Clearly the backwards compatibility on Wii reduces people's desire to play on the physical GC console anymore if they own both. Likewise, people who have a Wii but no GC have no incentive to buy a GC in order to play the GC software. Finally, it may be the case that the GC and it's prior audience aren't old enough/nostalgic enough yet to want to use an actual GC to play GC games - it's not as attractive a target for a collector yet because it's too recent to feel historically important.

As for me personally, I never bought a Wii so my only way to play my old GC games is still on the GC. I never had many games (just like 5 or 6), so I don't wind up playing it very much at all compared to my dreamcast.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. DarthCloud

DarthCloud Fiery Member

Using only my Wii currently but when they released the Wii U since they removed the backward compatibility with GC, I'm planning to plug back my GC to my setup and kick out the old Wii in favor to the Wii U.

3. eugene19

eugene19 Rising Member

I have my Gamecube for the sole purpose of playing PSO online with the BBA, and to play GBA games on my TV. Sadly most Japanese people play PSO on the GC rather than the DC these days, so I was forced to move from the DC to GC.

For the other games, I don't have a Wii, so I'm using my GC anyways.

4. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

I don't have a Wii but the GameCube is still in use. It's not that I'd prefer it much over the Xbox or PS2, but it's a great console to play on. I use it mainly for Resident Evil 4, F-Zero GX, Kururin Squash and some other fun games, but not so much for anything too deep. I need to get off my ass to finally play Pikmin 1&2 though, these have been rotting on my shelves for almost 3 years now.

5. ThetaSigma

ThetaSigma Robust Member

Just use the Wii as it is permanently plugged into the tv where as the GCN is not. Plus, the only GCN that I really play is F-Zero GX, and it is a backup copy, which I boot via the hacked Wii. Once I get around to buying F-Zero I might crack out the GCN a bit more often.

6. HEX1GON

HEX1GON Fucking Windows 98! Staff Member

My 'cube is packed away in it's box, I would still use the Wii as a gamecube for now just cause it's always plugged in.

7. stevenjcampbell

stevenjcampbell Spirited Member

There is a place here that sells complete gamecube and ps2 consoles for $10.00
    I am on a waiting list for a ps2, however I may try and pick up a gamecube as well.

Gamecube games tend to sell higher than they should, however I would personally love to get my pikmin on, and mario sunshine is a good game no matter what.

8. MottZilla

MottZilla Guardian of the Forum

I did use my Wii to play GC games, briefly. But then I put the Wii away in its box cause I pretty much never play it and have no interest in it. But the GC, it has the GB Player and there are some decent games for it. So the GC is hooked up and the Wii put away. Also, if I so desired, I can play GC homebrew and backups with the GC, not so with the Wii. I never had any interest in hacking the Wii.

9. G0dLiKe

G0dLiKe <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

Still in use here, some MarioKart, Ikaruga and Eternal Darkness sessions every week.

10. HEX1GON

HEX1GON Fucking Windows 98! Staff Member

Actually reason why Gamecubes sell is because people want the controllers for the Wii. It works out as a bloody good deal if you pickup a complete gamecube for $10.

11. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I do occasionally, but mainly I play GC games on my Wii. The main reason is that I have a component cable for my Wii, but not for my Gamecube. I would like to get a GC component cable so I could play GBA games on my monitor, but they're really expensive (considering it's just a cable). I love the Gamecube; it's probably my favorite console of the last generation (not counting the DC).

12. LeGIt

LeGIt I'm a cunt or so I'm told :P<BR><B>Site Supporter

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern I
    I had 4 player super monkey ball just the other day so yeah, though gamecube as a whole not so often. It looked like shit on a 37" 1080 screen though composite though.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  13. Lum

Lum Site Soldier

Slightly. I may sit down to tackle Kirby Air Ride, for the heck of it.

I'm waiting for upgraded mods. Some Japanese games won't save progress in English system mode.

14. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Conservator of Knowledge

Possibly mexico or the Forest of New England... I
    My cube still gets love from time to time

15. Mack

Mack <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

My cube still gets quite a bit of play lately. Have been stuck on Wario for some odd reason :D

16. graphique

graphique Enthusiastic Member

Yes indeed, I still have my GC permanently hooked up, for the GB Player as well as regular games. I never quite trusted slot-loaders like Wii not to scratch up the discs over time - not sure if that's really a possibility or not.

17. JamesMichael

JamesMichael Light Hearted Drunk

You will not be disappointed! Both are really rad original games.

In my opinion the Gamecube had some fantastic games. Granted most were first party but there was also a lot of good DC re-releases and other gems released for the late system.

18. takeshi385

takeshi385 <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

It depends, I have a 32inch lcd in my room so I play the Gamecube in there . My den has a 42inch lcd so I play Gamecube games on the Wii in there. I do that because I haven't a component cable for my Gamecube.

19. ThetaSigma

ThetaSigma Robust Member

^^Nor do most people XD. I would love one.

20. SuperGrafx

SuperGrafx Guest

Owned a GC briefly around the time it originally came out.
    Never really warmed up to it. The games just seemed..I don't know...uninspired. And now with Live integration and things like Achievements being the norm, the GC just seems like an empty experience.