SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

Denon Amplifier's , can they amplify 4 ohm speakers ?

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by s8n, Jan 10, 2017 at 11:34 PM.

1. s8n

s8n Robust Member

hi guys , i am working on a ArcadeWorx Vewlix Clone build and need a little help in the speaker department. Ok i plan on getting a second hand Denon Amplifier and getting a pair of the below. They are 4 ohm , and going by some of the Denon Amplifiers specs sheets ive read there is no mention of being able to handle 4 ohm. But i did find in the second link some info on the situation. Can anyone confirm from the article in the second link that i will be able to use 4 ohm speakers ?

btw the bottom photo is my Vewlix Clone that i have designed with Rob from ArcadeWorx

http://www.kicker.com/41KSC44

http://denon.custhelp.com/app/answe...ohm-speakers-with-a/v-receivers-or-power-amps

[​IMG]

2. KaosEngineer

KaosEngineer Member

From what I've seen on Denon receivers, most list 6 to 16 Ohm speaker impedance but mention that you can use 4 Ohm speakers. However, if used at a loud volume level over an extended period of time, the amp's protection circuitry may kick in and shut the system down.

Most car stereo amps are built to drive 4 Ohm speaker loads while home equipment drive 8 Ohm speakers. (or Denon's listed 6 ~ 16 Ohms).

3. retro

retro Administrator Staff Member

You need to be more specific. Denon have made a LOT of amplifiers. Studio amplifiers, AV receivers, stereo amplifiers / pre-amps..... Your question is like asking if a Ford vehicle can do 100mph.

Ugh. Car speakers? Really?!

You need to bone up on speaker impedance and matching amplifiers and speakers. Can an 8 ohm amplifier drive 4 ohm speakers? Yes. It really depends what you're doing with them as to whether you SHOULD, though. 4 ohm speakers need more power to drive loudly than 8 ohm speakers. Given that you want to use speakers reserved for chavs listening to shitty dance music who think more decibels is what you need for a "good" sound system, you're going to trip your amp.

Why are you putting a stereo amp in an arcade machine?

4. s8n

s8n Robust Member

greetings , holy shit i'm in strife now. Ok i was planning on getting a second hand Denon AV receiver and using it with those Kicker speakers that i mentioned. I chose this setup as i thought it would work out ok and i finalized the design with Rob at ArcadeWorx. I don't know what to do from here.........select different speakers ?

also as in the photo i provided the speaker ports are cut to cater for the Kickers , i may need to find something that has dimensions like them.

definitely need your help and input guys !

chat soon

5. stevo9389

stevo9389 Plays It Loud

Are you okay with cutting an extra pair of holes? You could buy two more speakers and wire each pair in series per channel which should bring you up to 8 ohm.

6. s8n

s8n Robust Member

i'd prefer not to cut more holes as i don't have the tools to do a neat job of it , plus the cost would balloon in getting more Kickers.

7. ActSean

ActSean Member

8. s8n

s8n Robust Member

thanks for the extra suggestions guys but i have come up with an alternative. I found a thread on Arcade Controls forum and from there i will do as they are , mounting a grille on the outside and then speakers on the inside.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/DISTRIBUTED-BY-MCM-SG-100-/50-30415

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/55-5535

i have a small question and problem though , these speakers seem to not be flat so i'm going to need some sort of spacer between the speaker and Vewlix.

any suggestions ?