1. 2017 FUNDRAISER

2017 brings with it a new server for the site. Any donations to support the ongoing costs of keeping this running will be greatly received. See this thread for more information.

Consolized Game Gear

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by beharius, Jan 22, 2017.

1. juji

juji Active Member

Some more videos, this time using a VP50pro after the OSSC (I forgot to turn on the line triple, will re-take these next week).
    Using zoom, pan and borders can make a nice full screen image, it can be improved by using some OSSC functions, I believe.
    For a better quality, please watch directly on youtube, not the embedded.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    Mauricio likes this.
  2. juji

juji Active Member

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  3. Crono

Crono Member

I am very interested in this project, as I've always envied the the videos of people making/having a consolized GameGear. The decision to keep the start button on the back of the system instead of wiring it to any of the other buttons on a Genesis pad may be cumbersome to some games which may use the start button (I think Mortal Kombat uses it to guard/block for example). I am guessing there is a technical reason for it. I am pondering if the start button stays there on the system perhaps a Sanwa or Seimitsu 24mm pushbuttons would look good on the acrylic as the start button, since they are pretty inviting to touch/press.

beharius likes this.
  4. juji

juji Active Member

The start button was wired on the case because this was just a test unit. The newer unit could be wired both on the case and on the controller out connector, but then you have to wire your controller start by yourself or ask beharius if he will provide one as addon

5. Wolf_

Wolf_ Active Member

I've heard of two different projects currently going on working on a gamegear hdmi out, would there be any chance of you implementing this?

6. beharius

beharius Resolute Member

Yeah, everything is possible. Could you please send me the links?

7. Wolf_

Wolf_ Active Member

One of them was this page: https://www.facebook.com/consolizedgamegear but it looks like they deactivated their account since my last visit.

Retrorgb mentioned another one in one of his weekly roundups and unfortunately I don't remember who it was.

8. beharius

beharius Resolute Member

Seems cool?

IMG_2158.JPG

Crono likes this.
  9. beharius

beharius Resolute Member

IMG_2161.JPG IMG_2165.JPG IMG_2162.JPG IMG_2164.JPG

Wolf_ likes this.
  10. Wolf_

Wolf_ Active Member

Looks beautiful! And is that a reset switch built into the console?

11. beharius

beharius Resolute Member

No, it's the start/pause button. Anything can be added though.

12. Crono

Crono Member

I think so at least. I figure a screw-on button (opposed to snap-in, as to not crack the acrylic) would look great with the shell. I think arcade buttons are inviting to touch, and potentially easy to replace for anyone if something were to go wrong. Although, I can also see the viewpoint that it may be a bit large and take away from the industrial design feel/look, I personally like the smooth convex button, especially with the nice variety of colors Sanwa/Seimitsu offers (thinking a clear outer shell with deep blue pushbutton, to mimic the look of the original GameGear's start button but match the clear acryllic look).

Whatever you decide would be best or easiest for your project, do that. I think we all would like it to be the best it possibly could be. You do you, it's your project and I'm just along for the ride.

beharius likes this.