SECURITY NOTICE: Please read the security notice in the site help forum immediately.

Best way to preserve CD-R dev discs

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by Diablodin, Jan 2, 2017.

1. VerticalE

VerticalE Spirited Member

Trenger du hjelp med å dumpe så er det bare å fyre av en PM ;)

Reburning is not an option for me as my collection is > 1000 discs. It is also not easy to reburn NR discs or GD-R, so best scenario for me is to store 1:1 dumps on 25/50 GB bluray M-Discs (thinking 100 GB might narrow down drive compatibility). 50 GB is probably the best option as some discs are larger than 25 GB anyway. Bluray adoption and consequent drive availability will ensure access to the data stored on the BR M-Discs for at least 20-30 years. After that I'm sure I can upload the data to my cornea by burning it in with a laser or some other awesome future tech.

I might also consider encrypting the data in case of theft, like I have on my HD backup, which leads to another important aspect of preservation; off-site backup. Buy a HD, encrypt it, fill it with whatever needs to be saved and leave it at someone elses house. Just in case your house turns into coal or someone decides to break in.

Diablodin likes this.
  2. teddy

teddy Member

I would use a Linux boot disk and make an ISO with the dd command.

I'm not sure if how you control the speed of the DVD drive however take an MD5 hash of your ISO after it's created. Do 2 ISO backups at different speeds and compare the MD5 hash as well. If there is a difference in hash you know the speed setting is vital.

I suppprt posting to the net as well.

3. teddy

teddy Member

Just use mega.nz for encrypted cloud based backups. 50GB free. Enough to backup some goodies. Create multiple accounts if needed.

4. VerticalE

VerticalE Spirited Member

Right, because Mega will be there 10-15 years from now.

5. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag Staff Member

Can't beat off-site, however if you don't any location to store them you'll have to think outside the box.

There's such thing as fireproof envelopes, they protect items up to a high temp. People use them for money here in Australia (our money is plastic) .

You could even get a 2.5" hard disk and store images on that, then pop that into a fireproof envelope. Then in something possibly waterproof.