PDA

View Full Version : Gluing sand on glass

Barc0de
04-10-2008, 03:26 PM
I m making a piece, and I need to know how this is possible

I need to glue sand on glass - permanently.

A person told me this is not possible, but nothing is impossible!

Please enlight me!

sabre470
04-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Glue in spray, (like the one used years ago to glue pictures in photo albums) pour the sand over it, a thin layer of sand should hold, never tried though on glass...

3M makes some of these glue spray cans, didn't find one specifically for glass but I would start there:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Manufacturing/Industry/Product-Catalog/Online-Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECFTDQGLE0_nid=769GMNXR2SbeS C2785KN7Pgl

mairsil
04-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Not an expert by any means, but you could try a "temporary" glue layer that holds the sand in place long enough for you to put on a top coat/glaze of some form to lock the sand in. Depends on your plans though.

Hawanja
04-12-2008, 12:43 AM
There is this spray adhesive stuff you can get at any arts and crafts store. Get the kind that uses a clear adhesive and dries quickly.

Spray it on and put on the sand in layers, then after you get the amount you want spay on some glossy sealent, the kind you put on models. If you put several layers and a lot of the sealent crap it should hold.

Barc0de
04-12-2008, 06:09 AM
The beauty with real tangible art is that obstacles along the way often make you re-think your design.

Now, I need some glue that will hold sand on wood!

Jamtex
04-12-2008, 06:18 AM
The same spray glue should do the job. Just sand down all the surfaces with coarse sandpaper to remove dirt and grease, with the glass I would clean the glass with a decent window cleaner and a clean cloth and the glue will hold better. Still won't hold if people pick at the sand though...

Parris
04-12-2008, 01:45 PM
what the hell you up to anyway? ;-)

oldengineer
04-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Regular PVA will glue sand to anything, and everything.

ASSEMbler
04-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Use the kind of epoxy they use to attach car mirrors to glass.

If I can stick a metal wedge on some glass, and then hang a two pound mirror on top of it, it should hold a tiny grain of sand.

Barc0de
04-12-2008, 05:21 PM
I m sorry if I ll sound a bit cryptic, but although a lawyer, art has always been something I enjoyed creating.

At this time, since I have some time to spare, I m investing it in a series of modern Art Brutale pieces.

Hopefully, when I have something to show then you guys will be able to take a look to your heart's content!

=) thanks for the replies, keep em comming! I can never have enough advice and criticism!